Current:Home > MyOceanGate suspends all exploration, commercial operations after deadly Titan sub implosion -Capitatum
OceanGate suspends all exploration, commercial operations after deadly Titan sub implosion
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:38:10
OceanGate, the company that owned and operated the submersible that imploded with five people on board, has suspended all exploration and commercial operations.
The company made the announcement Thursday in a banner on its website. No further details were provided. OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush was among the five people killed when the Titan sub imploded en route to the wreckage of the Titanic wreckage in June.
The Coast Guard's Marine Board of Investigation, along with authorities from Canada, France and the United Kingdom, are looking into what caused the deadly implosion. Investigators will look into possible "misconduct, incompetence, negligence, unskillfulness or willful violation of law" by OceanGate, the company that operated the Titan, or by the Coast Guard itself, the service branch previously said.
The deadly implosion brought new scrutiny to OceanGate and Rush. In a resurfaced clip from 2021, Rush told vlogger Alan Estrada that he'd "broken some rules" to make trips to the Titanic possible for his company.
"I'd like to be remembered as an innovator. I think it was General [Douglas] MacArthur who said, 'You're remembered for the rules you break,'" Rush said. "And I've broken some rules to make this. I think I've broken them with logic and good engineering behind me."
OceanGate is a privately held company. On the company website, OceanGate touted its "innovative use of materials and state-of-the-art technology" in developing deep-diving submersibles.
The company, which charged $250,000 per person for the Titanic voyage, had been warned of potential safety problems for years.
A professional trade group in 2018 warned that OceanGate's experimental approach to the design of the Titan could lead to potentially "catastrophic" outcomes, according to a letter from the group obtained by CBS News.
That same year, an OceanGate employee raised safety concerns about the Titan's design and the company's protocol for testing the hull's reliability. OceanGate fired the employee after he shared his complaints with government regulators and OceanGate management.
The Titan went missing last month during a voyage to the Titanic wreckage in the North Atlantic. The crew of the Polar Prince research vessel lost contact with the submersible 1 hour and 45 minutes into its June 18 dive.
In addition to Rush, Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood, his 19-year-old son Suleman, billionaire adventurer Hamish Harding and French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet were on the sub.
- In:
- OceanGate
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (7)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- The backlog of Honolulu building permits is taking a toll on city revenue
- Brazil unveils $4 million supercow, twice as meaty as others of her breed
- All-access NHL show is coming from the makers of ‘Formula 1: Drive to Survive’
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- 'Splashdown confirmed!' SpaceX Starship successful in fourth test launch
- NCAA baseball super regionals teams ranked as 16 teams fight for College World Series
- Biden lauds WWII veterans on D-Day 80th anniversary, vows NATO solidarity in face of new threat to democracy
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Biden lauds WWII veterans on D-Day 80th anniversary, vows NATO solidarity in face of new threat to democracy
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Colorado: 'Hidden' elk charges, injures 4-year-old boy in second elk attack in a week
- 'The Town apologizes': Woman left in police cruiser hit by train gets settlement
- Charges against warden and guards at Wisconsin’s Shawshank-like prison renew calls to close it
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Selma Blair Shares Health Update Amid Multiple Sclerosis Remission
- Hallie Biden testifies she panicked when she found gun in Hunter Biden's car
- College Football Playoff 12-team bracket and schedule for 2024-25 season announced
Recommendation
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
The costs of World War II and the war in Ukraine fuse as Allies remember D-Day without Russia
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Center Court
Ex-Detroit Riverfront CFO embezzled $40M, spent funds on lavish lifestyle, prosecutors say
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Opening arguments starting in class-action lawsuit against NFL by ‘Sunday Ticket’ subscribers
Kim Kardashian Details How Her Kids Con Her Into Getting Their Way
RHOC's Shannon Beador and Alexis Bellino Face Off in Shocking Season 18 Trailer